I love American football, and I love good food. Join me on a journey of culinary delight as I explore the finest food each city hosting an NFL team has to offer. In this post, I’m sharing gridiron grub inspired by Charlotte, North Carolina.
Home of the Carolina Panthers
The Panthers are from North Carolina which is the home of traditional Southern cooking. They say it’s hard to choose food that’ll satisfy a hungry football fan before their team takes to the field however this traditional Southern-Style Country Ham Sandwich seems to be the perfect pick.
Now, I had a variation of this in my most recent trip to the States, and I was having a breakfast biscuit most mornings. A biscuit to me looks like a scone, only it’s savoury and the texture stays together better but this is fluffy, it’s topped with eggs, cheese and ham.
Gridiron grub: Southern-Style Country Ham Sandwich
This recipe will make 10 servings and take around an hour. Enjoy!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 10 oz. sliced country ham
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 10 oz. sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 10 fried eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the buttermilk and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; knead until it comes together. Pat the dough 3/4 inch thick. Using a 3 1/2-inch round cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as possible. Re-roll the scraps and stamp out more biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheets and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and risen, shifting the pans halfway through baking. Let the biscuits cool.
- Split the biscuits and spread with butter. Preheat a griddle and cook the biscuits, cut side down, until golden. Fill the biscuits with ham, cheddar, and fried eggs. Close and serve.
This recipe of gridiron grub inspired by Charlotte, North Carolina was brought to you by Delish. You can find more recipes like this, on the Food area of our website. I genuinely can’t wait to prepare this for the next game day when we have friends visiting, I suspect the first bite will take me back to my stateside trip!