About the NFL
The National Football League (NFL) is a professional American football league consisting of 32 teams, divided equally between the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC).
The NFL is one of the four major professional sports leagues in North America, the highest professional level of American football in the world, the wealthiest professional sport league by revenue, and the sport league with the most valuable teams.
The NFL’s 17-week regular season runs from early September to late December, with each team playing 16 games and having one bye week. Following the conclusion of the regular season, seven teams from each conference (four division winners and three wild card teams) advance to the playoffs, a single-elimination tournament culminating in the Super Bowl, which is usually held on the first Sunday in February and is played between the champions of the NFC and AFC.
The NFL was formed in 1920 as the American Professional Football Association (APFA) before renaming itself the National Football League for the 1922 season. After initially determining champions through end-of-season standings, a playoff system was implemented in 1933 that culminated with the NFL Championship Game until 1966.
Following an agreement to merge the NFL with the American Football League (AFL), the Super Bowl was first held in 1967 to determine a champion between the best teams from the two leagues and has remained as the final game of each NFL season since the merger was completed in 1970.
You can learn more about each conference, division or team by clicking each link below:
- AFC East – Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets.
- AFC North – Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers.
- AFC South – Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans.
- AFC West – Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders, Los Angeles Chargers.
- NFC East – Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington.
- NFC North – Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings.
- NFC South – Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- NFC West – Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks.