October 1 marked the fourth week of the 2023 NFL season, painting the Sunday skies with touchdowns, field goals, and jaw-dropping plays across the Sunday games. Here’s a look at seven statistical highlights that stood out.
- Overtime Drama Continues: Week 4 saw two games stretch into overtime, keeping the streak alive with at least one overtime game in each of the season’s first four weeks. This has only happened six times in NFL history. The Los Angeles Rams won against Indianapolis, 29-23, and the Philadelphia Eagles soared past Washington with a 34-31 win, marking a strong 4-0 start for the second consecutive season.
- Comeback Kings: Three teams showcased their resilience by overcoming a 10-point or larger deficit. Denver led the pack with a remarkable 21-point comeback, followed by Minnesota and Philadelphia, each overturning a 10-point disadvantage to secure wins.
- Josh Allen’s Stellar Performance: Buffalo’s QB, Josh Allen, delivered a masterclass, completing 21 of 25 passes, amassing 320 yards, and throwing four touchdowns against Miami. With a passer rating of 158.3 and a rushing touchdown added to the tally, Allen joined the elite club with Aaron Rodgers, showcasing a similar magnificent performance in 2019.
- Rookie Achievements: Miami’s rookie running back, De’Von Achane, contributed 120 scrimmage yards and a pair of touchdowns, whereas Houston’s rookie quarterback, C.J. Stroud, threw for 306 yards in a notable performance against Pittsburgh. LA Rams’ rookie receiver, Puka Nacua, shined with nine receptions, amassing 163 yards, including the decisive touchdown in overtime against Indianapolis.
- San Francisco’s Dominance: The 49ers demonstrated a dominating performance with a 35-16 win over Arizona, marking their 14th consecutive regular-season win. Quarterback Brock Purdy and running back Christian McCaffrey shared the spotlight with remarkable individual performances, leading the offense with efficiency and finesse.
- Lamar Jackson’s Dual Threat: Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson recorded four touchdowns, with a passer rating of 142.5, in a triumphant 28-3 win against Cleveland. His performance further cements his reputation as a dual-threat quarterback in the league.
- Defensive Stalwarts: On the defensive side, Cleveland’s Myles Garrett recorded his 80th career sack, tying with T.J. Watt as the second-fastest player to reach this milestone since 1982. Los Angeles Chargers’ Khalil Mack showcased a dominant performance with six sacks against Las Vegas, tying for the second-most sacks in a game since 1982.
These are just glimpses of the football spectacle that unfolded on Sunday. As teams adjust their strategies and heal their wounds, fans eagerly await the clashes set to unfold in Week 5 of the 2023 NFL season.